New line

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 21 16:46:04 EDT 2005

ionic said unto the world upon 2005-04-21 16:34:
> Ok sorry guys,
>
> using the python gui, if i hit the 'enter' key python just executes what
> ever ive typed.  It doesnt take me to the next line.
>
> How do i type several lines without executing after each line?
>
> Cheers

A bit more precision in your question would help. I'm going to assume
that by "Python GUI" you mean IDLE.

You are likely trying to work in the interactive prompt. Very useful,
but not for writing programs to save. For that, File->New and you will
be in an IDLE window that lets you edit, run, and save files. (Be sure
to save them with the .py extension, as IDLE doesn't automatically do so.)

Best,

brian vdB