Jython run scripts problem (2.2.0a0 on Mac OSX 10.3.8)

scott scmarsh at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:46:25 EDT 2005

I installed darwinports and did a "sudo port install jython"

-------------------------

scott$ which jython
/opt/local/bin/jython

-------------------------

Jython works in interactive mode as shown below:

-------------------------

pyprogs$ cd hotbits/
hotbits$ ls
flips50.py      jythoninstall.py randomX          randomflip.py
hotbits$ jython
Jython 2.2a0 on java1.4.2_05 (JIT: null)
 >>> # Truly random (radioactive decay triggered) coin flip
 >>> from randomX import randomHotBits
 >>> r = randomHotBits()
 >>> if r.nextByte() < 0:
...     print 'tails'
... else:
...     print 'heads'
tails

Jython *doesn't* work if I save the above as a script and try to run it.
It refuses to run the script and simply starts up in interactive mode:

hotbits$ jython randomflip.py
Jython 2.2a0 on java1.4.2_05 (JIT: null)

Question:
How can I run scripts as expected (outside interactive mode)?

Thanks in advance.