large dictionary creation takes a LOT of time.

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Apr 30 13:35:51 EDT 2005

Maksim Kasimov wrote:

> sorry for my question, but i've read the documentation, and can't find
> where is the explanation of how it is exactly works (but of course i do
> believe you). If it is buit in function, can i see the source code of
> the method to find it out?
>
> Kent Johnson wrote:
>> http://docs.python.org/lib/built-in-funcs.html

 From the above page:
open(  	filename[, mode[, bufsize]])
     An alias for the file() function above.

file(  	filename[, mode[, bufsize]])
     Return a new file object (described in section 2.3.9, ``File Objects'').

>> http://docs.python.org/lib/bltin-file-objects.html

2.3.9 File Objects

next(  	)
     A file object is its own iterator, for example iter(f) returns f (unless f is closed). When a
file is used as an iterator, typically in a for loop (for example, for line in f: print line), the
next() method is called repeatedly. This method returns the next input line, or raises StopIteration
when EOF is hit. <etc>

or look at Objects/fileobject.c in the source code.

Kent