Proposal: an unchanging URL for Python documentation

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Apr 19 14:21:42 EDT 2005

In article <1113914904.034233.192720 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Steve <steve at ferg.org> wrote:

>http://docs.python.org/modindex.html
>
>and there also is
>
>http://python.org/doc/current/modindex.html
>
>Anybody know why there are two different URLs?
>
>Which one should be considered the "official" current documentation
>URL?  (REASON: A person wanting to Wikalong annotate the "official"
>current documentation URL would want to know which one to annotate.)

I'd consider the official URL to be

http://www.python.org/doc/current/modindex.html

The primary reason for creating docs.python.org was to make Google
searches easier.  I believe the eventual intent is to make that the
official URL, but there were some glitches in setting it up and I'm not
sure whether they've been completely ironed out.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR