schedule a monthly ftp event

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Tue Apr 26 21:36:42 EDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:15:35 -0700, willitfw wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am looking for some guidance on a script.
>
> My goals are:
> 1) have this script run automatically through a time set schedule.
> 2) verify if a file is updated on an ftp site (usually on the 15th of
> the month).
> 3) If the updated file exists, ftp it to local drive.
> 4) e-mail other users when the file has been updated on the local
> drive.

Operating system?

comp.lang.python can help you with the other stuff, but the scheduling is
OS-dependent. (Which isn't to say you won't get help, but it is,
technically, off topic.) On UNIX, use some "cron" varient, Windows has
some sort of Scheduler built in but I've never done anything with it but
turn it off, and I have no clue about Mac, though perhaps it has cron too
in OSX.