So I guess PyUI is long abandonded? What else is there?

Martin Maney maney at pobox.com
Sun Sep 19 10:35:18 EDT 2004

Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria at free.fr> wrote:
> Well, I think that it's simply due to the fact that the docs for pyui are
> out of date.

And incomplete at any time, though that's hardly uncommon.

> It's true that the gl rendere needs WGL, but the p3d renderer
> only needs SDL and pygame to work. Too bad that they don't mention it,
> isn't it ?

It would be nice if the problem were so easily solved, but as of 0.95
(last one released as an installable package rather than an image of an
installed-on-Windows tree), p3d seems to be openGL based and is, in
fact, the invoker of the crash in some of the tests I tried to run to
see if the package were working:

<source pyui/core.py, init()>
    elif renderer == "p3d":
            from renderers.openglPygame import OpenGLPygame
</source>

renderers.openglPygame imports openglBase, and that tries to import the
WGL thing, and then it falls over.  :-(

Perhaps you meant the "2d" renderer (aka pygame2D module)?  With that
explicitly requested, many of the test/demo programs run, sort of.
Their behavior is not what I'd call encouraging, from the request for
"font.ttf", with the failure, on both an older and quite recent version
of pygame, reported as "Couldn't find arial.ttf" (WTF?), to the lack of
any apparent means of stopping them other than control-C in the xterm
from which they were run (well, or doing something that crashes them -
I'm still not sure what I did to minesweeper).

Oh, and there's no way to tell it what font you'd like to use, nor what
size (at least with the pygame renderer; there's a "font" argument to
one function, but it's ignored).  Or are you supposed to go poking
around at the module-scope variables, like poke'ing bytes into magic
locations in a prehistoric Basic program?

"Pining for the fjords" sounds about right.  :-(

--
Hebb's dictum:  If it isn't worth doing, it isn't worth doing well.