Xah Lee's Unixism

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Sep 8 17:53:10 EDT 2004

Chuck Dillon wrote:

>> abridgement of
>> civil liberties (as in the Patriot Act and the Gitmo gulag),
>

> [...] How many U.S. citizens have been victimized?

That's the problem -- we have *no* way of finding out, because part of
the Patriot Act is a gag rule that prevents the public from knowing how
it's used.  It *may* be a small number, and we'd all like to think that
it is, but we really don't know.

> How many dead U.S. citizens does it take to justify that
> victimization?  Both numbers are quire small.

Here there's a lot of room to disagree -- it's a tragedy when U.S.
citizens are killed, but it's an even greater tragedy when the entirety
of the U.S. loses its freedoms in the name of "security".

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety," as Benjamin Franklin said.
The Patriot Act takes away our liberty in the name of temporary safety.
We need better security than we had pre-9/11, certainly, but we can get
it with a much lower cost to our personal liberty than has come with the
Patriot Act.  We *don't* need secret police investigations, secret
courts, and secret detentions for secret reasons.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International