Python for Perl programmers?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 20 22:47:15 EDT 2004

Markus Dehmann wrote:
> Is there a tutorial that takes all the standard perl things and then
> explains how to do them in python? That would be perfect. Open a file,
> take all the words, put them in a hash, do something with them, print
> the result in a formatted way, write it to a new file etc. Create a
> class that downloads newsgroups, etc. Things like that.

Years ago I helped a bit with the PLEAC project, at
   http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

] Following the great Perl Cookbook (by Tom Christiansen &
] Nathan Torkington, published by O'Reilly) which presents
] a suite of common programming problems solved in the Perl
] language, this project aims to gather fans of programming,
] in order to implement the solutions in other programming
] languages.

There are a lot of examples there between Perl and Python,
and somewhat fewer comparisons with other languages.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com