Xah Lee's Unixism

Pascal Bourguignon spam at mouse-potato.com
Thu Sep 2 16:27:25 EDT 2004

"Karl A. Krueger" <kkrueger at example.edu> writes:
> When you consider that the first Macs to run OS X were several hundred
> times faster than the 1984 Mac, had one thousand times as much RAM, and
> had fifty thousand times as much mass storage, it should follow pretty
> naturally that the constraints of the old system's design would cease to
> be appropriate.

Yes, but the first NeXTcube or NeXTstation were not much more
powerfull than even the original Macintosh.  In anycase, at the time
the Macintosh appeared, there were already 680x0 based unix workstations.

> 	1984 Original Macintosh: 128kB RAM,  8 MHz 68000, 400 kB disk
    1989 low end NeXTcube:   128MB RAM, 25 MHz 68030, 256 MB optical disk!
> 	1999 Power Macintosh G4: 128MB RAM, 400MHz PPC G4, 20 GB disk

NeXTstep could have run on a MacIIfx (The TI Explorer ran on a MacIIfx).

neither do we.

"I don't think it*  can be won."  (*):the war on terror.