ANN: Logging Package v0.4.9.4 released

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 06:20:36 EDT 2004

> The logging package is pretty good and pretty powerful. The problem is that
> it is *too* powerful. I found out that in most of the situations I need
> a very tiny subset of its functionalities. Months ago I studied it,
> but now I have completely forgot it; I have discovered that
> it takes me less time to write my own logging routines than to use the
> logging module :-(

What exactly is hard to use? An example of the minimalist way of
logging:

import logging

logging.warn("This is your %s warning", "first")
#similarly you can call logging.debug(), logging.info() etc.

> Is there some plan to solve this "issue"? I mean, an easy to use interface
> for the ones who just needs minimal logging facilities? Something easy to
> remember? I know for sure that there is at least a Sourceforge project
> about easy logging (I could found it googling on this newsgroup) but I
> would like something standard included in the batteries.
> Am I alone experiencing these difficulties?

Perhaps if you can explain what it is about the minimal interface
above which is hard to use or hard to remember, I can give you a more
focused answer.

Best regards,

Vinay Sajip