Uninstall speed with Python 2.4 MSI

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Sep 3 14:45:03 EDT 2004

Although it isn't often necessary, I tend to be in the habit of
uninstalling Python before updating to new minor releases, or
especially during the alpha/beta cycle.

I'm in the process of uninstalling 2.4a2 to install 2.4a3 and the
uninstall is running absolutely dog slow and burning 100% cpu while
doing it (all going to mshta.exe).  Watching the progress bar it
almost seems to be doing a whole bunch of operations per file or
something.  The mshta process went away after the removal so I don't
believe there was any other scripting running on my system
simultaneously. It probably took 5+ minutes for the removal.  I can't
recall if removing 2.4a1 was like this, but certainly the non-MSI
versions weren't, even when all the docs were separate files.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience this?  I may not have
the fastest system at the moment, but this has to have been one of the
slowest (proceeeding, if not absolute time) uninstalls I've done in a
long while.

-- David