Don't let your babies grow up to be programmers (was: up with PyGUI!)

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 16:23:03 EDT 2004

luismg at gmx.net (Neuruss) wrote in message news:<278de0e.0409231337.1a032135 at posting.google.com>...
> people, with knowledge of two or more languages and with high tech
> skills can aspire to pay the rent and make a living, making 4 or 5x
> less than an american counterpart.
> These people worked their ass off to have what they're getting now.

So did we.  I certainly respect the accomplishments of programmers the
world over.  However...

I think the real problem is not so much that foreign programmers are
paid less than US programmers.  Instead I suspect the problem (from
our point of view) is that their cost of living is so much lower.  If
I worked for the salary of an Indian programmer I would have no place
to live, no insurance, and would have a hard time buying food to take
back to my family living under a bridge.

Meanwhile the Indian programmer is living like a king (more or less).

This issue will impact a lot more professions than programming.  It's
getting hard to find a function that can't be performed from the other
side of the world anymore.  What the American economy can do to
respond to this I have no idea.

On the other hand maybe we should all just move to India.  We could
teach them how to play football (the real kind, not that soccer
stuff).