Xah Lee's Unixism

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid
Thu Sep 9 07:48:17 EDT 2004

On 08 Sep 04 18:50:12 -0800 in alt.folklore.computers, "Charlie Gibbs"
<cgibbs at kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:

>In article <413f6044.512285562 at News.individual.net>, iddw at hotmail.com
>(Dave Hansen) writes:

>>ObUnix: Max OS X has a "ditto" command that's the same as "cp" only
>>different.
>
>Wasn't "ditto" the name of one of those console-driven mainframe
>utilities that would copy anything to anything?  (Another version
>was known as DEBE, which stood for "Does Everything But Eat".)
>I got my hands on some source code and got one working on the Univac
>9400 and 90/30.  Thanks to our convention of prefixing such utility
>program names with "UV" (for Univac Vancouver), it wound up being
>called UVDITO (so that it would fit into the 6-character name limit).

IBM DOS/VSE Data Interfile Transfer, Testing, and Operations utility

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis at CSi.com 	(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply