Why not FP for Money?

Batista, Facundo FBatista at uniFON.com.ar
Wed Sep 22 12:39:57 EDT 2004

[aleaxit at yahoo.com]

#- > Of course, one can take extra precautions to always have
#- correct numbers
#- > when working with floats and monetary amounts (eg. I did
#- that for the
#- > Excel sheet the sales dpt used).  Why bother, though, if
#- one has the
#- > Decimal type?
#-
#- It seems to me that you just showed that decimal is no panacea: you
#- still have to know where to round and to which precision.
#- decimal is a
#- great tool but is not and cannot be a magic wand...

Remember all that Decimal is a first step to a Money data type, which for
example, could deal with this.

It's clear to me now that it's better to build a Money data type over
Decimal. When I proposed a pre-PEP for Money, that was clear to others, and
that's why I was "redirected" to work in Decimal.

.	Facundo