Uninstall speed with Python 2.4 MSI

Irmen de Jong irmen at -nospam-remove-this-xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 3 17:19:44 EDT 2004

David Bolen wrote:
> simultaneously. It probably took 5+ minutes for the removal.  I can't
> recall if removing 2.4a1 was like this, but certainly the non-MSI
> versions weren't, even when all the docs were separate files.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else has experience this?  I may not have
> the fastest system at the moment, but this has to have been one of the
> slowest (proceeeding, if not absolute time) uninstalls I've done in a
> long while.

My experience with MSI based installers is similar:   s l o w
Both the installation is slow, and also deinstallation is slow.
It seems to take forever to "build script functions" or whatever
it says it is doing when doing an uninstall.

Probably got something to do with the large number of files
that make up the full Python install.

--Irmen.

PS: I've got an Athlon XP 2400+ with 1Gb of RAM....
     You really start wondering where all the CPU cycles go...