Greenlets: where are they now???

David Pokorny davebrok at soda.csua.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 13 02:52:00 EDT 2004

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:x6SdnVJ8pp4xC9ncRVn-rQ at powergate.ca...
> Seriously though, what is the actual problem to which you feel
> greenlets are a good solution?

Greenlets are about 90% of a solution (which I've thought hard about) to the
problem of interrupting an execution after 50 byte-code, while retaining the
ability to resume the execution (for, say, another 50 byte codes).

The main requirements of the solution are:

- it work with regular CPython with minimal tinkering (some tinkering of
ceval.c is necessary).

- it not do any "reimplementing eval," i.e. I'm not in the business of
second-guessing PyEval_EvalFrame.

In other words, my message may have implied that I'm concerned with other
people's uses for coroutines. I'm actually much more interested in hearing
Armin Rigo comment on the development status of Greenlets.

BTW, the code that ultimately will get interrupted every 50 byte codes is
not my own---it will be Python bots, written by users... ...friendly
users... (<suspicious glance at deprecated rexec>)

David