Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net

Anand Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 09:33:57 EDT 2004

Some questions...

o How "Python-like" is your new language ?

o How does it differ from Mark Hammond's Python for .NET ?

o How does it differ from Jim Hugunin's IronPython ?

o You say "PyCs is the first dynamic language to have all the
capabilities of C# and PyCs can be programmed quickly and easily in an
interactive way like its predecessor Python." When I have Python, tell
me what other "dynamic" features does PyCS add? Anyway Python is
already dynamic, interactive and all that.

o What all features do you plan to borrow from C Sharp? In other
words, is this C# on Python or Python on C# ?

o Why do you need another language just to have the SQL/XML features
  of some X#? Why not just add it as an optimizing module like Psyco
does ?

o You say PyCS is not compatible with Python, yet Python and C# code
can be
  ported to it. Why in the world should I decide to do something like
that, if
  my Python and C# code works well enough for me? What *new* thing
does PyCS
  bring in?

o PyCS is basd on Prothon. Prothon, never completed was Prototypes +
Python.
  PyCS is Python + CSharp, but not compatible with Python. ..... To me
it looks
  like the one thing PyCS borrowed from Python is the "Py" prefix,
nothing else.

o PyCS is called Pisces... Now it is pixie...
  Excuse me, are we talking of  magical pixie-dust here?

o Quoting from your website, "We had a tough challenge with Prothon, a
prototype-based language, being implemented on top of Python", yet you
say that Prothon is incompatible with Python. Help me, I am confused
here.

-Anand

Anand Pillai,
(Python Hobbyist, Author, Software Developer),
INFOSYS, Bangalore,
INDIA.