[Python-Dev] Alternative placeholder delimiters for PEP 292

Andrew Durdin adurdin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 18:20:41 EDT 2004

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:33:36 -0400, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 02:11, Andrew Durdin wrote:
>
> >     I propose that the Template module not use $ to set off
> >     placeholders; instead, placeholders are delimited by braces {}.
> >     The following rules for {}-placeholders apply:
>
> The PEP 292 rules were specifically chosen for their similarity to
> placeholder syntaxes in many other languages.

Sure. But just because many other languages do it that way doesn't
mean that it's the best way for Python. There are significant
advantages to using paired delimiters instead of a single prefix
delimiter.

The "Rationale" section of PEP 292 says only that the desire was for
something simpler than the built-in % substitution; if the similarity
to many other languages is also an important part of the rationale,
then the PEP should be modified to take that into account, should it
not?