use of Java modules

Luis P. Mendes luis_XX at XXiname.com
Thu Sep 2 19:19:53 EDT 2004

Steve Menard wrote:

> There is Jython. This works well if you python code is compatible. This
> means any python libraries you use must be jython-compatible. Also,
> python-language-wise, jython is still arounf puthon 2.1 afaik.
>
> Secondly, tehre is JPype ( http://jpype.sourceforge.net ). It still
> alpha (and even that can be termed generous hehe). This is my prefered
> option, since I am it's developper hehe. In theory it should eventually
> allow you to use any Java class as though it were a python class.
>
> Thirdly there is spiro (http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/spiro/) I have
> no experience with it, but I know it bridges the Python and Java VM by
> using CORBA.
>
> Lastly there was JPI, a interface generator that would expose specific
> java classes to python. the website seems to be down though ...
>
> All these solutions have one thing in common though ... you will have to
> learn a bit about java. No so much as to need to program in it, but
> enough to set up environment and classpath, etc ...
>
> If you decide to use JPype, you get support for free ;)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Steve

Hello Steve,

I must thank you for your answer, as well as Jeff.

JPype really seemed what I was looking for.  Now that you've told me (in the
SourceForge.net forum) that it's available in Linux, I'll try hard to use
it. For sure, we'll keep in touch!

>From all the three projects, JPype seems to me, at least, as the one where
I'd have to learn less about Java.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Luis