Xah Lee's Unixism

Alan Balmer albalmer at att.net
Fri Sep 3 13:45:27 EDT 2004

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:12:52 GMT, "John W. Kennedy"
<jwkenne at attglobal.net> wrote:

>Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
>> i have some recollection of competing bids building single unit
>> assemblies at sea coast sites allowing them to be barged to
>> florida. supposedly the shuttle boosters were sectioned specifically
>> because they were being fabricated in utah and there were
>> transportation constraints.
>
>Yes.  A vastly inferior design was used, which ended up killing seven
>astronauts, because Orrin Hatch had to be appeased with boodle for Utah.

The first disaster was due to (possibly inferior) gaskets and inferior
judgment on launch day. The second was falling foam, and inferior
realization of the gravity of the problem. I'm not clear on what
either had to do with Utah.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting