Python Webstart ?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 11:36:39 EDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:43:04 +1000, huy <nytimes at swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if there were any plans (or existing projects) similar to
> Java webstart for Python. I think this would be a boon for python. I
> would love to start my new project using Python but the deployment (and
> long term upgrading) factor is a major itch which pyfreeze and py2exe
> just doesn't scratch properly.

I sincerely don't understand why a Python Webstart would be more
useful than pyfreeze and py2exe. If you're talking about some way for
people to test your application without the need to install it, I can
get it, but still I don't think that it's worth it. Remember -- the
JVM is a near standard part of modern browsers, so it's relatively
safe to assume that a lot of people (those using modern GUI browsers)
will be able to test your program. But the Python VM is not designed
to work like that; in the end, the user still would need to download
some client library (a PyVM-plugin for browsers of sorts), which
pretty much defeats the point of the Python Webstart.

If you *really* want to program in Python and have it working with
Webstart, why not do it using Jython? Once compiled, a Jython program
is undistinguishable from a Java app -- both are meant to run under
the JVM. I don't know if anyone did it before, but running Jython
programs as Webstart applications should be possible, if not
automatic.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos