allowing braces around suites

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Sep 3 02:35:28 EDT 2004

Op 2004-09-02, Jeremy Bowers schreef <jerf at jerf.org>:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:27:36 +0000, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> I haven't come up in such a situation for tens of years. So I think
>> I'm doing well enough.
>
> It stuns me how stubbornly some people can persist in poor habits. This
> argument from "experience" saddens me, not impresses me.

What kind of bad habit do I have if in ten years I didn't had to
think I would like to reuse some code but couldn't because it
was too much intertwined with other code.

First you suggest I have some bad coding habit and say what
symptoms such bad habist display, and when I answer I don't
display such symptoms I still have bad habits and am persisting
in them.

> Frankly, getting back to the main point here, your little fight here is
> pointless. Ain't gonna happen. With your... ahhh.... "unique views" on
> this topic, you don't stand a chance in hell of convincing Guido, or
> anybody else, that you are right.

> Keep writing your spaghetti code, and don't wait for Python to help you
> code that way. Good luck.

Just because I think that

  for ...
    if ...
      for
        loop
        code
      endfor
    endif
  endfor
  remainder

is in general more readable than

  for ...
    if ...
      for ...
        loop
        code
  remainder

I'm writing spaghetti code.

I don't care that much if python will have such endmarkers or not.
But I would have thought the merrits and disadvantages of one approach
against the other could be discussed without me being attack for
bad coding habits, just because I personnly think such end markers
have more merrits than disadvantages.

--
Antoon Pardon