Question: tools for business apps development

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 09:53:12 EDT 2004

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 08:28:55 -0500, Robert M. Emmons <robmemmons at cs.com> wrote:
> Keep in mind that it is still possible to write an XUL application with
> Mozilla this way, and for example ActiveState has done this to develop
> their IDE.

I hadn't thought about using XUL before. I need to study it better. I
have a certain prejudice against using browser based apps -- for
instance, I don't like browser based Java apps. I don't know if XUL
uses a similar model or not. On the other hand, I really like standard
browser-based Web apps -- using CSS and Javascript and stuff like
that. What I don't like is the basic sandbox model and all the
security issues associated with it. I just don't feel comfortable.

> I've used Tkinter which has a long history and is probably the most
> portable and stable -- but I've been thinking of trying out wxWidgits.
> GTK+ is really for linux only -- but there is a port to windows, and QT
> -- just be careful with the liscence, it is not free when writing
> commercial code.

Tkinter may be good enough for my needs. I just couldn't find a good
RAD style tool to use with it. I found some for wxWidgets, but none
are up to my expectations now.

> I can only tell you what my impression is regarding python -- it would
> be good to hear from others.  Most businesses probably use VB or Java
> for what your talking about (or perhaps C++).  I'm not trying to
> encourage that -- and in fact I like and use python.  I have used python
> for a few applications for the business I work for -- Tkinter based and
> I sued PythonWin IDE.  As you say, the development tools were rather
> primative -- and tkinter though claiming to be native -- is not exactly so.

This is an area where the lack of strong commercial drive for Python
really hurts. For all infrastructure related matters one can use
Python without fear. There are plenty of tools and excellent libraries
to support it. But business app development is now mostly focused
towards either an MS tools based environment (VB, VC++, or C#) or
Java-based tools. And I would really like to do it in Python, I think
the language itself is mature and good enough for the job -- only the
tools are missing.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos