Shorter checksum than MD5

Mercuro this at is.invalid
Thu Sep 9 04:44:03 EDT 2004

Hello

i'm looking for a simple way to checksum my data.
  The data is 70 bytes long per record, so a 32
byte hex md5sum would increase the size of my
mysql db a lot.

I'm looking for something that is 5 bytes long,
for the moment i'm just taking a part of the hex
md5 sum (like this: checksum = md5sum[3:8]).  I
don't have any duplicates, and I have over 100000
records, but i'm not sure for the future...

Can anybody give me something better?  Or point me
to some website?

thx!!

PS: I use this checksum to periodically compare 2
versions of this DB, which are on 2 sides of a
slow internet connection.  My hope is to keep down
unneeded traffic between the 2 servers.