Pure Python hashcash implementation

David Mertz, Ph.D. groups.google at gnosis.cx
Wed Sep 22 22:57:03 EDT 2004

I decided to write a pure Python hashcash implementation.  I have seen
David McNab's Python implementation.  Unfortunately, as near as I can
tell (which is supported on the hashcash mailing list archive), McNab
actually implements a different algorithm than hashcash.  It might (or
might not) be equivalent in security; but I cannot see any directly
way to transform what he computes into an actual hashcash stamp.

Barnes Connelly also posted a sort-of hashcash implementation on
c.l.py.  But his only creates a padding suffix, not the actual
hashcash field; moreover, Connelly's version seems to look for
trailing zeros in the hash, not leading zeros.

I created a Pure Python module today that seems to conform with the
hashcash v.1 standard.  But I probably missed something.  It's just
barely tested--call this an alpha version.  Still, I figured I'd send
it out here.... if anyone sees something I've done wrong, please let
me know so I can correct it before distributing the module more
widely.

Btw. If anyone wants to, please feel encouraged to post this to the
Cookbook.

"""Implement Hashcash version 1 protocol in Python

Double spend database not implemented in this module, but stub
for callbacks is provided in the 'check()' function

The function 'check()' will validate hashcash v.1 tokens, as well as
'generalized hashcash' tokens generically.  Future protocol version
are
treated as generalized tokens (should a future version be published
w/o
this module being correspondingly updated).

A 'generalized hashcash' is implemented in the '_mint()' function,
with the
public function 'mint()' providing a wrapper for actual hashcash
protocol.
The generalized form simply finds a suffix that creates zero bits in
the
hash of the string concatenating 'challenge' and 'suffix' without
specifying
any particular fields or delimiters in 'challenge'.  E.g., you might
get:

    >>> from hashcash import mint, _mint
    >>> mint('foo', bits=16)
    '1:16:040922:foo::+ArSrtKd:164b3'
    >>> _mint('foo', bits=16)
    '9591'
    >>> from sha import sha
    >>> sha('foo9591').hexdigest()
    '0000de4c9b27cec9b20e2094785c1c58eaf23948'
    >>> sha('1:16:040922:foo::+ArSrtKd:164b3').hexdigest()
    '0000a9fe0c6db2efcbcab15157735e77c0877f34'

Notice that '_mint()' behaves deterministically, finding the same
suffix
every time it is passed the same arguments.  'mint()' incorporates a
random
salt in stamps (as per the hashcash v.1 protocol).
"""
import sys
from string import ascii_letters
from math import ceil, floor
from sha import sha
from random import choice
from time import strftime, localtime, time

ERR = sys.stderr            # Destination for error messages
DAYS = 60 * 60 * 24         # Seconds in a day

def mint(resource, bits=20, now=None, ext='', saltchars=8,
stamp_seconds=False):
    """Mint a new hashcash stamp for 'resource' with 'bits' of
collision

    20 bits of collision is the default.

    'ext' lets you add your own extensions to a minted stamp.  Specify
an
    extension as a string of form 'name1=2,3;name2;name3=var1=2,2,val'
    FWIW, urllib.urlencode(dct).replace('&',';') comes close to the
    hashcash extension format.

    'saltchars' specifies the length of the salt used; this version
defaults
    8 chars, rather than the C version's 16 chars.  This still
provides about
    17 million salts per resource, per timestamp, before birthday
paradox
    collisions occur.  Really paranoid users can use a larger salt
though.

    'stamp_seconds' lets you add the option time elements to the
datestamp.
    If you want more than just day, you get all the way down to
seconds,
    even though the spec also allows hours/minutes without seconds.
    """
    ver = "1"
    now = now or time()
    if stamp_seconds: ts = strftime("%y%m%d%H%M%S", localtime(now))
    else:             ts = strftime("%y%m%d", localtime(now))
    challenge = "%s:"*6 % (ver, bits, ts, resource, ext,
_salt(saltchars))
    return challenge + _mint(challenge, bits)

def _salt(l):
    "Return a random string of length 'l'"
    alphabet = ascii_letters + "+/="
    return ''.join([choice(alphabet) for _ in [None]*l])

def _mint(challenge, bits):
    """Answer a 'generalized hashcash' challenge'

    Hashcash requires stamps of form
'ver:bits:date:res:ext:rand:counter'
    This internal function accepts a generalized prefix 'challenge',
    and returns only a suffix that produces the requested SHA leading
zeros.

    NOTE: Number of requested bits is rounded up to the nearest
multiple of 4
    """
    prefix_hash = sha(challenge)
    counter = 0
    hex_digits = int(ceil(bits/4.))
    while 1:
        candidate = prefix_hash.copy()
        candidate.update(hex(counter)[2:])
        digest = candidate.hexdigest()
        if digest.startswith('0'*hex_digits):
            return hex(counter)[2:]
        counter += 1

def check(stamp, resource=None, bits=None,
                 check_expiration=None, ds_callback=None):
    """Check whether a stamp is valid

    Optionally, the stamp may be checked for a specific resource,
and/or
    it may require a minimum bit value, and/or it may be checked for
    expiration, and/or it may be checked for double spending.

    If 'check_expiration' is specified, it should contain the number
of
    seconds old a date field may be.  Indicating days might be easier
in
    many cases, e.g.

      >>> from hashcash import DAYS
      >>> check(stamp, check_expiration=28*DAYS)

    NOTE: Every valid (version 1) stamp must meet its claimed bit
value
    NOTE: Check floor of 4-bit multiples (overly permissive in
acceptance)
    """
    if stamp.startswith('0:'):          # Version 0
        try:
            date, res, suffix = stamp[2:].split(':')
        except ValueError:
            ERR.write("Malformed version 0 hashcash stamp!\n")
            return False
        if resource is not None and resource != res:
            return False
        elif check_expiration is not None:
            good_until = strftime("%y%m%d%H%M%S",
localtime(time()-check_expiration))
            if date < good_until:
                return False
        elif callable(ds_callback) and ds_callback(stamp):
            return False
        elif type(bits) is not int:
            return True
        else:
            hex_digits = int(floor(bits/4))
            return sha(stamp).hexdigest().startswith('0'*hex_digits)
    elif stamp.startswith('1:'):        # Version 1
        try:
            claim, date, res, ext, rand, counter =
stamp[2:].split(':')
        except ValueError:
            ERR.write("Malformed version 1 hashcash stamp!\n")
            return False
        if resource is not None and resource != res:
            return False
        elif type(bits) is int and bits > int(claim):
            return False
        elif check_expiration is not None:
            good_until = strftime("%y%m%d%H%M%S",
localtime(time()-check_expiration))
            if date < good_until:
                return False
        elif callable(ds_callback) and ds_callback(stamp):
            return False
        else:
            hex_digits = int(floor(int(claim)/4))
            return sha(stamp).hexdigest().startswith('0'*hex_digits)
    else:                               # Unknown ver or generalized
hashcash
        ERR.write("Unknown hashcash version: Minimal
authentication!\n")
        if type(bits) is not int:
            return True
        elif resource is not None and stamp.find(resource) < 0:
            return False
        else:
            hex_digits = int(floor(bits/4))
            return sha(stamp).hexdigest().startswith('0'*hex_digits)

def is_doublespent(stamp):
    """Placeholder for double spending callback function

    The check() function may accept a 'ds_callback' argument, e.g.
      check(stamp, "mertz at gnosis.cx", bits=20,
ds_callback=is_doublespent)

    This placeholder simply reports stamps as not being double spent.
    """
    return False