Just curious

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 17:26:09 EDT 2004

Ken Parkes <cbuffer at NOSPAMrosecott.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> I understand usual practise to involve responding to a posting within the
> original thread.   In this group there seem to be many responses to a
> question which start a new thread; viz. <new python book!!> by vegetax
> leads to a new thread <Re:new python book!!> by Gerrit.  Ditto <How does
> this function work?>.   Is this a peculiarity of something Pythonites are
> using, or is there a different protocol here?

I'm just guessing, and I could be wrong, but I think you're noticing the
artefacts from some people following this as a newsgroup (NNTP) and
others as a mailing list (SMTP/POP/IMAP/whatever).  Apparently some
headers get mangled in such a way that your reader loses track of the
threads (so does the one I'm using these days -- MacSOUP -- but the one
I used to use, KNode, had no such problem).

Alex