python and bit shifts and byte order, oh my!

Jason Lai jmlai at uci.edu
Fri Sep 10 16:17:14 EDT 2004

Reid Nichol wrote:
> Phil Frost wrote:
>
>> The standard 'struct' module provides methods to specify the byte order
>> of the input.

>>> So, I have to handle the byte order myself during file i/o.
>>>

>>> Thank you Grant and Daniel!  I cleared up a a bunch of my fuzziness :)
>

> It's my understanding that pack and unpack of the struct module returns
> strings and not rearranged integers.
>
> At any rate I would rather do it myself if only to teach myself
> something about this.

pack returns a string. Which is a sequence of characters, which also
happen to be bytes. So you write the string (sequence of bytes) to the
file. I don't think you usually need to rearrange integers in memory;
it's mainly when you're writing to disk.

unpack returns a tuple of objects according to the format string. So
struct.unpack("!i", "abcd") returns (1633837924,). In your case, you'd
read in 4 bytes and unpack it to a 32-bit int.

If efficiency isn't important, you could forget about the whole
byte-order thing and just read/write it byte-by-byte. Then you can think
of the file as a bit-stream (everything gets written in order and read
back in order), although you still have to read/write a whole 8-bit byte
at a time.

  - Jason Lai