Xah Lee's Unixism

Pascal Bourguignon spam at mouse-potato.com
Thu Sep 2 15:00:52 EDT 2004

"John Thingstad" <john.thingstad at chello.no> writes:
> Note the Mac OS 10 / Darwin uses a unix kernel because of all the
> problems  with
> interoperabillity OS 9 had with talking to Windows and Unix boxes.

No that's not the reason. The reason is ONLY because of the lack of
virtual memory management (with separation of addressing spaces for
processes) in MacOS.  That's the one error in design in MacOS I
identified in version 1.0 that they've dragged all along for 20
years. (And I bet that if they did not make it, AAPL would be $50-$80
now, and they'd have at least 40%-50% of market share).  Instead,
they've wasted resources, CEOs and CTOs for 10 years before the NeXT
take over.

neither do we.