Python Webstart ?

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Mon Sep 20 00:59:08 EDT 2004

>> I sincerely don't understand why a Python Webstart would be more
>> useful than pyfreeze and py2exe.
>
> then you really don't understand what WebStart does.

I object to different packaging systems than my OS uses.  When I use
Windows I expect programs to arrive as setup.exe, to add themselves
to the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel etc.  On Redhat boxes,
I expect them to arrive as rpms.  On my Gentoo box, I expect them
to be part of portage.

The problem I have with webstart and systems of its ilk is that
they introduce yet another packaging mechanism disjoint from that
of the OS.  Sure they try to make it convenient.  But as a user
I really don't care that something is being packaged in a particular
way so it can be compatible with the packaging on other machines.
In fact as a user, I really don't care what programming language
is used for any programs, and I don't want hurdles.

Of course as a developer I do care about all that stuff, but trying
to expose it to users doesn't achieve anything.

Roger