Whose is smaller

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft anna at aleax.it
Mon Sep 27 03:29:43 EDT 2004

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <adeel054s0qvd0qas7nk1v9i93vk3tdlv1 at 4ax.com>,
> Richard Hanson  <me at privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>[Connection working again...?]
>>
>>Alex Martelli wrote:

> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
>
>>Ahem. As I said ;-) in my reply to your post mentioning Anna's P2000
>>(in my MID: <lgebl0182hk6t0809ar3dh9925ptj5um5b at 4ax.com>), and in
>>earlier postings re 2.4x installation difficulties, mine is a Fujitsu
>>LifeBook P1120. (Sorry, Alex! I definitely *should* have mentioned the
>>model again -- I'm just beginning to appreciate the difficulty of even
>>*partially* keeping up with c.l.py. I'm learning, though. :-) )
>>
>>In any event, the Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 has a 8.9" wide-format
>>screen, is 2.2lbs.-light with the smaller *very* long-lasting battery
>>and 2.5lbs.-light with the very, *very* long-lasting battery, and has
>>-- what tipped the scales, as it were, for my needs -- a touchscreen
>>and stylus.
>
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
>
>>I can feel your pain. I would switch to Apple in a second if they had
>>such light models (and if I had the bucks ;-) ). I need a very light
>>machine for reasons specified earlier. (Okay, slightly reluctantly:
>>Explicit may be better even with *this* particular info -- I have
>>arthritis [ankylosing spondylitis] and need very light laptops to read
>>and write with. :-) )
>>

>>>OBCLPY: Python runs just as wonderfully on her tiny P-Series as on my
>>>iBook, even though only Apple uses it within the OS itself;-)
>>
>>ObC.l.pyFollow-up: Python also runs very well on my tinier ;-) P1120
>>with the Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 processor running at 800MHz and with
>>256MB RAM and a 256KB L2 on-chip cache -- even using Win2k. :-) It's
>>really nice not needing a fan on a laptop, as well -- even when
>>calculating Decimal's sqrt() to thousands of decimal places. ;-)
>
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> Is Linux practical on these boxes?  How do touch-typists like them

Well, mine is dual boot. I'm currently experimenting with Ubuntu on my
Linux partition... I'm really REALLY hoping for a linux kernel with a
decent 'sleep' function to come up RSN because I despise having to work
in Windoze XP instead of Linux. Ah well, at least the XP hasn't been too
terrible to work on - it runs surprisingly smoothly, particularly with
Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and email...

And I can touch type just fine - except for the damn capslock key (there
is NO purpose whatsoever for a capslock key as a standalone key on a
modern keyboard, imho). I've had only minor problems with the touch
typing that I do - and that, only due to the slightly different layout
of the SHIFT key on the right side compared to where I'd normally expect
to find it: keyboard layout is a common bugbear on laptops though,
regardless of size....

Anna