re-entering in the normal flow after an exception is raised

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Tue Sep 28 16:27:55 EDT 2004

    Alex> Michele Simionato <michele.simionato at gmail.com> wrote:

    >> I think I want "re-entrant exceptions" (not sure if this is the

    >> Is there some elegant or hackish way to get this?

    Alex> I think not.  You may read in Stroustrup's book about C++'s
    Alex> design and evolution how he was convinced to abandon
    Alex> resumable exceptions by experiences in another language,
    Alex> where they just didn't pay for their huge complexity -- they
    Alex> seem a good idea, but don't prove to be...

In Python they would probably be much less complex - exceptions are a
big overhead in C++ already, resumable ones would be even more so. In
python the implementation probably wouldn't be that complex and the
overhead that large.

Also, I can't help but think of the recently posted PEP 334 (Simple
Coroutines via SuspendIteration) at

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0334.html

I probably wouldn't use resumable exceptions for normal situations
where exceptions are used, but some nice control flow hacks could be
made possible.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb