cost of creating threads

Bryan Olson bryanjugglercryptographer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 15:02:44 EDT 2004

Ajay wrote:
> i have an application that runs on a pocket pc.
[...]
> my question is, in terms of memory and processing
> power, how much overhead will creating threads cost.

I've never worked with Pocket-PC, but the answer is almost
certainly "not much".  You can get reasonable bounds with simple
test programs.  I'll include a Python thread creation timer
below.

Threading has improved vastly in recent years, and the current
versions of the popular operating systems now have excellent
thread support.  As one might expect, out-dated ideas about
the cost of threads are still widespread.

--Bryan

import thread
import time

lock = thread.allocate_lock()
lst = [0]

def increment():
    lock.acquire()
    lst[0] += 1
    lock.release()

def mass_thread(nthreads):
    print "Running %d threads..." % nthreads
    i = 0
    benchmark = time.clock()
    while i < nthreads:
        try:
            thread.start_new_thread(increment, ())
            i += 1
        except:
            #  thread.error is undocumented, so catch all
            time.sleep(0.05)
    go = 1
    while go:
        time.sleep(0.1)
        lock.acquire()
        if lst[0] == nthreads:
            go = 0
        lock.release()
    benchmark = time.clock() - benchmark
    print "All %s threads have run." % lst[0]
    print "That took %f seconds." % benchmark

if __name__ == '__main__':
    mass_thread(10000)