Python Webstart ?

huy nytimes at swiftdsl.com.au
Sat Sep 18 11:12:35 EDT 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:

> huy <nytimes at swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Great idea Daniel. An SVN client would work well. I'll think about it
>>for a while but I think this would be a real option.
>

> SVN sounds attractive because, among other things, it's _designed_ to be
> scripted with Python (and no doubt in other ways, but I've noticed the
> Python part only).  However, it sounds as if all you need is some
> variant of "os.system('svn up')" at program start (_before_ importing
> any module that is part of the app), so that 'cvs up' or any other
> revision control system would be just as fine.
>
> And most likely so would be a roll-your-own approach, which might go
> something like...:

[snip]

> One advantage of each of these approaches is that you minimize what you
> need to install on the client -- no need for any cvs or svn and thus
> also no need for any of the dependencies of those systems.  Any good old
> plain vanilla Python installation on the client would suffice...

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the in depth response. They are all very nice ideas which I
will take on board. I may just roll my own as you have suggested. As
nothing standard exists it may be my best bet.

I'll probably end up with py2exe for an initial installation and then
similar code to that you have provided to run before my main app. I may
use a JNLP style file to specify modules/zips to avoid needing to have
any cgi on the server. It would be good to just have a PWS module which
will download my whole app as well as update it so first time it's run I
could download the main app.

Thanks again,

Huy