Update automation and related issues (was: Python Webstart ?)

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Sep 20 17:20:16 EDT 2004

claird at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) writes:
[...]
> The Tcl community has made fascinating progress on what I call "deploy-
> ment" issues.  Places to begin reading:  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ped >,
[...]

Not sure, as a user, that I'm a great fan of the mutable
program-plus-data-in-a-big-lump concept...

- One can usually rely on data files to stay put, and not to start
  rewriting themselves (well, ok, at least on non-windows OSes ;-/).

- Do I want to be forced to back up 10Mb of Python+Metakit every time
  I back up my data?

- Other than that, as a user, why do I care?

As a developer, what does this approach offer above tools like py2exe
/ Installer &c?

I am underwhelmed by the idea of dynamic debugging.  Seems like a
solution looking for a problem.

John