compiling to python byte codes

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 5 19:33:17 EDT 2004

Maurice LING wrote:
> I can only have the self-study options and good books on compiler
> construction are rare. I am a molecular biologist by professional
> training. There are things that are tough for me to understand and to
> just find the answer about stacks vs register computers will take ages,
> and I always appreciate people who do not treat me as an idiot. I'm sure
> there are much more idiotic questions being asked in newsgroups.

I certainly did not mean to declare you an idiot. Instead, I tried to
point out that this is a complex topic, one where a Usenet thread can
hardly give sufficient introduction. Instead, in such threads, posters
typically assume common background, with respect to grammars, syntax,
abstract syntax, intermediate representation (using trees or opcodes),
interpretation vs. compilation, and so on.

Regards,
Martin