SimpleXMLRPCServer

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Tue Sep 28 09:03:33 EDT 2004

Jeremy Jones wrote:
> Istvan Albert wrote:
>
>> Yannick Turgeon wrote:
>>
>>> "Simple". What are its limitations?
>>

>> No limitations whatsoever ...  it is "Simple" to use
>>
>> :-0
>>
>> Istvan.
>>
> Simple indeed.  I don't know for sure the reasons for naming it
> "Simple".  But it may have to do with the fact that the out-of-the-box
> SimpleXMLRPCServer will only handle one request at a time: a request
> comes in, the server accepts that request, blocking until the method
> call returns, and the response is sent back to the client.  It does not
> spawn a thread per request.

The name SimpleXMLRPCServer is in line with SimpleHTTPServer: a simple
serial request handling server that can be subclassed to provide
additional functionality. I also chose SimpleXMLRPCServer because I
reasoned that some day someone would want to write a server using a
different technique and SimpleXMLRPCServer could be refactored into
BaseXMLRPCServer and SimpleXMLRPCServer without breaking anything. That
would allow NewXMLRPCServer to leverage the new BaseXMLRPCServer.

Cheers,
Brian