multipart/form-data in an HTTP client

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Sep 1 19:53:28 EDT 2004

John J. Lee wrote:

>Jeff Shannon <jeff at ccvcorp.com> writes:
>[...]
>

>>I've been using something closely modelled on that Cookbook recipe,
>>without any real problems.  (I've updated it to use
>>HTTP[S]Connection() and return the response object, and in my case I'm
>>connecting to an HTTPS server, but these are trivial modifications.)
>>

>[...]
>
>Have you published your function?  If not, please do.

Here it is, for what it's worth.  (Hopefully my mailer won't mangle the
indentation...)  As I noted, the differences between this and the
Cookbook recipe are minimal -- I literally copied the recipe into my
editor and made a few changes.

If I were going to put further effort into polishing it for library use
(which I probably won't have much opportunity to do), I'd make at least
two changes.  One would be to set it up to select between HTTP and
HTTPS.  (It currently tries to determine the protocol from the hostname
string, but does nothing with that information.)  The other would be to
enable the file-subpart to add a Content-type header.  (This is
irrelevant for my particular application, as the form(s) I'm uploading
to don't care.)

In case it matters to anyone, inasmuch as this code is nearly identical
to the published recipe, my changes can be considered to be under the
same license as the original recipe.  If someone feels like using this
in any way, feel free.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International