Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs) (was: Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net)

Michael Sparks zathras at thwackety.com
Tue Sep 7 05:42:35 EDT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Mark Hahn wrote:
> Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX?  Any existing software projects?
> Any languages?  I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
> is a non-issue.

Google came back with this pretty fast:
   * http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/dx/ (aside from lots of others...)

Also, DX appears to be used by lots of things (especially protocols,
formats, software, hardware) as a suffix and a prefix. Which kinda makes
the equivalent to (say) pympeg difficult, since (for example) mpeg-dx
already exists.

And if you change to DX -radio download as search terms, the number one
result is for Direct X.

Doing a play on words, I also quickly found "DynaXML" - from
http://www.amg.net.pl/ .

That's just from 5 minutes looking - there's so many clashes with other
things you'll either view that as good or bad (much as "python" clashes
with lots of things).

> Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name

A different approach is to come up with a name and misspell it
deliberately using something vaguely valid. eg change "ee" to "ae"
or "ea" (etc), change a leading "s" to a leading "c" (or a soft leading
"c" to an "s", change "mm" to "m" or "m" to "mm", etc.  If you do
things as a light enough  touch it's clear that the misspelling is
deliberate (eg cerendipity) but generally reduces the likelyhood of
it already being used. You could even pick a name, and rather than spell
it with an "z", spell the name with a "s"...

Michael.