Ranting about the state of Python IDEs for Windows

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Tue Sep 14 07:14:02 EDT 2004

Rob McCrea wrote:

> Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
>
>> I'm frustrated. My search for a good IDE to support my activities --
>> doing development for Python in the Windows environment -- are not
>> being succesful as I had originally dreamt.
>

>  > As mentioned, it's rather fully customizable, easy to add a new file
>  > > type and appropriate extensions
>

> My search for a good IDE ended years ago when I started learning C++,
> and found EditPlus, http://www.editplus.com/  --  $30, free 30 day trial
> (last I knew.)

It *has* to be mentioned, of course, that Vim (http://www.vim.org) has
nearly every feature mentioned about EditPlus and all the other IDEs,
including syntax highlighting (for Python, even!:), column selection
(and block selection, and line selection), regex, match brace, etc.
Running on Cygwin you have easy access to grep, make, and all other
nifty *nix development tools. But failing that, there's a Windows grep
(http://www.wingrep.com/) and a host of other ported utilities
(http://jrfonseca.dyndns.org/projects/gnu-win32/software/ported/, for
example).

Best of all, Vim is free (well, it's "charityware") and /very/ stable. I
can honestly say that in 10 years I have *never* had Vim crash on me. As
rumoured, it does take a little getting used to, but the rewards are
worth it.

No, I'm not trying to start yet another editor war! I'm just pointing to
a useful tool that often gets overlooked in this GUI world of ours. But
then, there's always Gvim...

Dan