regular expression for integer and decimal numbers

gary gary.wilson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 16:13:22 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<pbadnZrDHOinY87cRVn-jg at powergate.ca>...
> gary wrote:
> > I want to pick all intergers and decimal numbers out of a string.
> > Would this be the most correct regular expression to use?
> >
> > "\d+\.?\d*"
>
> Examples, including the most extreme cases you want to handle,
> are always a good idea.
>
> -Peter

Here is an example of what I will be dealing with:
"""
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS                                     19        21
   By Rushing                                         11         6
   By Passing                                          6        10
   By Penalty                                          2         5
THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY                           4-11-36%  6-14-43%
FOURTH DOWN EFFICIENCY                            0-1-0%    0-0-0%
TOTAL NET YARDS                                      379       271
   Total Offensive Plays (inc. times thrown passing)  58        63
   Average gain per offensive play                   6.5       4.3
NET YARDS RUSHING                                    264       115
"""

I can only hope that they were nice and put a leading zero in front of
numbers less than 1.