idiom for debug code?

Dan Perl danperl at rogers.com
Thu Sep 30 16:12:38 EDT 2004

I was not thinking of actually removing code.  The analogy to C++
preprocessing was just an example.  I am looking at something that can be
determined at run-time, not compile-time.

And you're right, I'm not really concerned about the overhead of an "if"
because I will not use this extensively anyway.  This problem occurred to me
when I decided to add an import for win32traceutil.  I'm looking for a way
to have that permanently in the code and enabling/disabling it only at
run-time.

I have thought of alternatives like an environment variable or a
configuration parameter, but I was looking for other ideas.  I thought this
should be a common issue and that there could be an idiom for it.

Dan

PS: in the case of importing win32traceutil, I guess that checking the
environment would be necessary anyway, or the import should be in a try
statement, ignoring the exceptions.

news:wfmdnXvIef4v1cHcRVn-vQ at comcast.com...