2 different Python distributions on same Windows box?

Sun Sep 5 09:38:05 EDT 2004

David Lees wrote:
> I currently have PythonWin 2.3.4 on my Windows 2000 box, but would like
> to try the Enthougt 2.2.3 distribution.  Are there any tricks to making
> these 2 distributions co-exist?  Are there any potential problems?
>
> TIA
>
> David Lees
They can be play nicely together.  Multiple 2.3.? (or 2.2.? or ...)
is tougher.  As long as the major or minor versions differ you are OK.

The one thing you need to be sure of is your environment variables
and search paths.  A mixture of versions in those will cause you
heartache (if python23 is on your path and you are running 22, for
example).  A pythonpath environment variable might be problematic.

I run 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 on the same box.  Just go for it and ask
if issues crop up.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org