Python Oddity - print a reserved name

Duncan Grisby duncan-news at grisby.org
Thu Sep 16 07:55:08 EDT 2004

In article <m3acvr8sff.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk>,
 Michael Hudson  <mwh at python.net> wrote:

>aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:
>
>> This kind of thing, however, is also true of CPython whenever it's
>> accessing "outside" objects through attributes; and for .NET
>> implementations I believe that CLR compliant languages are not
>> allowed to forbid certain method names along their interfaces to
>> other components.  I'm not sure how CORBA's standard Python bindings
>> address the same problem, how it's met in various interfaces to
>> XML-RPC, COM, SOAP, and other distributed-objects or foreign-objects
>> APIs.
>
>I'm fairly sure the approach taken by CORBA bindings is the good old
>"append an underscore" hack.  I don't know what happens if an
>interface declares methods called both "print" and "print_", but
>giving the author a good kick seems an appropriate response...

CORBA prepends an underscore, so it would use "_print". Identifiers in
CORBA IDL are not permitted to start with an underscore, so there is
no possibility of a clash with another IDL defined identifier. If the
Python mapping appended an underscore for clashes, it would be
susceptible to the issue you mention.

Cheers,

Duncan.

--