Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Wed Sep 1 02:40:05 EDT 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:45:24 -0700, Tom B. wrote:

>>> PyCs is a fusion of Python and C#.
>>
>> All joking not aside, what is next, P?
>>
>> -jack
>>
> How about P# , nice and short for the cut and paste challenged.
> By naming it PyCs they are just trying to glom (or is that glob) onto
> Python's fame. Why not just name it something new like Omnimegagolopolic-OO.
>
> Tom

Don't forget that we have to get the domain name for whatever we choose.
p.org is going to be hard to get. :-)  I actually grabbed PySharp.org but I
hate names with # in them.  I think you should be able to type the name
into a browser.

It turns out that I missed a sourceforge project called PyCs so we will be
changing our name soon.  Our current best guess is Pyxc pronounced Pixie.

We are guilty of trying to glom onto everything from Python, not just the
fame.  We want all of the Python-way, the simplicity, ease-of-programming,
the whole ball of wax.  We never claimed otherwise.  If you are going to
steal, steal from the best.

The new language is actually just a subtle shift from the old Prothon as
far as the programmer is concerned, but since we were dropping prototypes,
we really had to change the name.  Also we didn't want the prototype issue
to confuse people looking into the language.  Everyone has this idea that
prototypes somehow made the language weird and different, when in reality
you programmed it almost exactly the same.