"False exceptions?" (was Re: theme of the week: tools

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 27 20:16:16 EDT 2004

Dan Perl wrote:

> "Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
> news:4157FD67.80404 at holdenweb.com...

[...]
>>As a recent convert to Wing I think you aren't giving them enough credit:
>>remember, this only happens in the 2.0 BETA product (or, if it also
>>happens in earlier versions, they are definitely planning to minimize the
>>effects in the production version).
>

> According to the documentation this was happening in much earlier,
> production, versions.  You are saying "they are definitely planning to
> minimize the effects in the production version".  Can you please qualify
> that?  Minimize how?  What does "minimizing the effects" mean anyway?

All I was doing was pointing out htat they are aware of hte phenomenon,
and that I (unlike you, apparently) am prepared to live with a minor nit
in order to get the advantages the tool gives me.

>>>I didn't try to figure out what their exception detection mechanism is
>>>and why they have this problem.  I just uninstalled the IDE.  So 10 days
>>>for the trial was more than enough after all. ;-)  I think I had it
>>>installed for about 2 days.  I can tolerate a bug and I wouldn't be so
>>>riled up, but what got me was the marketing spin and how they were just
>>>excusing the bug, like they would never fix it.
>>>

>>Well, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that before they go into
>>production they plan to add a standard list of such exceptions for the
>>various Python versions, so that the standard libraries are far less
>>troublesome in this respect.
>

> A "standard" list?  I don't see what's "standard" about that.  And the
> "standard libraries" are not "troublesome", the IDE is.  On the other hand,
> I suppose that this would be an "effect minimization".  I don't know what
> their plans are, but they could include a list of all the possible false
> positives and automatically ignore them.  Forgive me, but that is a hack and
> I will not have any respect for that.

Well, fine.

> You are using the same kind of marketing spin speak that Wingware is using.
> I can understand that you like the tool and you feel you have to defend it.
> But I think this is the wrong way to do it, both for you and for Wingware.

Nope, I don;t feel I have to defend it. The tool does what it does, I
was merely sayiong that some people (such as me) can work with it as it
is. You apparently can't. Fine.

> I probably shouldn't get so worked up about it.  To be fair, since I tried
> the tool I have discovered that Wing IDE also has the option to disable that
> behavior and to debug in a mode where unhandled exceptions are just treated
> like a normal run would treat them.

Well, yes, but I thought we were focusing ont he deficiencies of the
tool, not the advantages :-)

>>Plus, IIRC, all you have to do is check an "ignore this exception" box to
>>have a specific exception ignored everafter, which didn't seem like a huge
>>deal to me.
>

> It's just too bad I don't have a checkbox for "Ignore marketing spin at this
> location".

Indeed. Hope you feel better now.

> Dan

regards