struct->bit access

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Mon Sep 13 13:47:35 EDT 2004

It's not slow or complicated. Try something like this:

import struct

class Example(object):
  def __init__(data):
    '''data is a string of 4 bytes read from your input socket.'''
    (i,) = struct.unpack('!I', data)
    self.var1 = i & 7
    self.var2 = (i >> 3) & 7
    self.var3 = (i >> 6) & 1
    self.var4 = (i >> 8) & 0xf
    self.var5 = (i >> 16) & 0xff

You might want to change the format string for unpack() depending on the
byte order of the input.
<http://python.org/doc/2.3.4/lib/module-struct.html> has more
information.