i18n and GUI under Windows

Andr? Roberge andre.roberge at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 7 22:33:57 EDT 2004

Fred Pacquier <xnews2 at fredp.lautre.net> wrote in message news:<Xns955DE35ED6C2PaCmAnRDLM at 212.27.42.76>...

> Well, André, if you really want *simple* (as in *simplistic*, *simple-
> minded* or *can't-get-no-simpler* :) I have something that does just that
> (english/french under wxPython)...
> Then it's not too hard to add, say, a trans['de'] dict to l10n.py and
> change the locale test above to use it. If automatic detection is not
> adequate, then the GUI needs to provide a widget or dialog for the user
> to set the desired language...

Thanks for the suggestion.  Actually I will NOT use the automatic
detection - and I would encourage others to do the same.  The reason
is as follows:

Suppose that a French user is fairly fluent in Spanish, and very
little in English.  Her computer's locale indicates that French should
be the default.  The application she chose is available both with a
Spanish and an English interface - but not a French one.  The
automatic detection scheme will chose English whereas, as she had
known it was available, she would have preferred to use the Spanish
one.  But that can't be known by a program using the locale test.

Anyway, I'll try something along the lines of what is in the wxPython
wiki (suggested by another reader).  Thanks to all those who helped.

André