Nested class structures

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Sat Sep 11 11:05:42 EDT 2004

>> The only thing that comes to my mind is to create the classes from
>> strings you exec - that will allow you to captur the class before
>> redefining it:
>
> You can capture before redefining without any need to exec:

> ...   anons=[]
> ...   class anon:
> ...     def method1(self): return 'the first'
> ...   anons.append(anon)
> ...   class anon:
> ...     def method1(self): return 'the second'
> ...   anons.append(anon)
> ...   class anon:
> ...     def method1(self): return 'the third'
> ...   anons.append(anon)
> ...   del anon

Thats a nice one. I always forget about the possibility to execute actual
code while a class is encountered by the interpreter. As always, I'm
impressed on the variety of things doable in python - even if they don't
appeal to me as exactly useful (in this special case I mean.)

> No way!  Classes as well as functions are perfectly fine objects.
> Python has no 'declarations'.

The reason I said that was because of the way the debugger steps through the
code: If it comes to a def, it doesn't execute the body - naturally. But it
collects of course the function as callable. That I viewed that as sort of
declaration - but you are of course right that there is no such thing as an
actual declaration in python.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch