Python Webstart ?

marcus at deepfort.com marcus at deepfort.com
Sun Sep 19 12:20:18 EDT 2004

> Well not really. I don't mind doing one installation of a
> (Python/Java) webstart. However, it's the automatic update of the
> actual application software which I find most useful. The alternative
> using p2exe or pyfreeze will require me to distribute the (potentially
> large) binaries manually. For hundreds of terminals, this is not gonna
> be good, especially in an iterative environment.

I'm probably being really really *really* obtuse here (and heaven knows
it wouldn't be the first time) - but what's preventing you from
including that functionality in the program itself, by use of (say)
querying an xml file on (say) a web server?

I do this, in various permutations depending on the context, and it's
certainly flexible, convenient and all that jazz.

I'm not picking holes here, more wondering what I've missed, or even if
my approach could be helpful...

*dons flameproofs*