Xah Lee's Unixism

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Thu Sep 2 11:43:59 EDT 2004

joe at invalid.address writes:
> http://www.zippythepinhead.com/
>
> If you're runnning emacs, you can get a quote from him with M-X yow
>
> Not exactly a typical editor function, agreed. I was feeling a little
> whimsical at the time.

i once did a random email/usenet signature with zippy/yow ... but i
added two other files to it ... and then i had to fix a feature in
yow. yow uses a 16bit random number to index a yow file ... it was ok
as long as your sayings file was less than 64kbytes. i had to modify
yow to handle files larger than 64kbytes ... the "sayings" file used
for 6670 separater pages was 167k bytes and the jargon file was 413k
bytes ... while a current zippy yow file is 52,800 bytes.

recent reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004f.html#48 Random signatures